Fantastical Highlights

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Budapest Part II

At around 7 am, I was awaken by the sound of brewing coffee.  Then I realized it was wishful thinking..I was barely awake.  After my morning shower, it was time to go.  I found a place to stay in Budapest and I am thinking Goulash soup for dinner already.  I am just coming back for soup.

Two Turkish coffees,2 bags of random Serbian snacks, a paprika necklace to give my Polish family, and my last 10 dinars then I was ready to go.  I added more credit on my phone and I got on the train headed to Hungary again.

I sat with a Serbian/Hungarian artist travelling back in forth the Balkan countries and working in Greece.  I noticed his shoes and his bag. Two thoughts came into mind: one is that he was gay and that his shoes would add to my perfect Polo Ralph Lauren Equestrian outfit. 

One thing I learned about this trip is that at any given situation, whether a person is someone that you think could be interesting or not, when you’re stuck in an eight hour train ride, you have to find a point where you could find some level of common interest to talk about.
6 hours later, we went through border control twice.  It seemed inefficient to have two different areas of control serving two different countries.  Why not have just one?  Anyhow, I was glad for I got a Hungarian and Serbian stamp on my passport. 
Nikola of Hungary and Serbia - My train partner



turkish coffee



My last hours with petar

making up some lost time...cleaning my luggage..

I arrived around 6 pm and was greeted by my next host from Estonia. His name is Edgar, another Erasmus student in Budapest.  I met him through my friend Malle from Belgium.  He is another student with a simple life living in the Astoria area of Budapest.  His flat was cold and dark. The living room was empty and I have never seen such an interesting bathroom with a toilet water tank on top of the wall on the side of the toilet. He is renting a room from a friend and I slept on an air mattress.  



My hungarian girls

Estonia, Hungary, and Israel representing..
 ]
The evening was very simple. We met up with some of his friends and had beers.  I was pumped that evening and we were joking all night.  There were about 20 people on the table; no one memorable or exciting…just a bunch of Hungarians finishing a weekend and starting another week over Goulash and beer.
At about midnight, it was time to go.  I leave for the bus for Warsaw at 6 am. It’s my last destination but I’m still ready to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment