Fantastical Highlights

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Current Mission: "Finding out what it is in life what I don't do well... And then I don't do that thing..."

Meet Gero! Above is his mission in life.  When I saw that on Cs..I knew I had to meet him!

I was supposed to stay with him but he had to go to New York and visit his family so instead, we decided to go to dinner at a Hungarian fusion restaurant right by the Octagon in Budapest..

I gave him a call around 7 to confirm location and on the other line is a man who didn't really seem excited about dinner.  His voice was monotone but firm at the same time.  I was reluctant to even going after hearing his voice.

Of course, for the first time, I arrived right on time.  Peter (who I'm staying with) was so kind enough to take me to the restaurant to make sure I don't get lost. I came into the restaurant and was greeted in English (so refreshing). When asked if I had reservations, I said no and was sent to the back until a table opened up.  I decided to sit on the table up top and was told that the table was reserved.  I felt a bit lost, different, and tourist like.  Finally, around 8:10...Gero shows up!

He showed up with a half a smile, long curly hair, and a long black leather jacket.  He reminded me of my friend Billy Mann; a soul/pop singer I used to hear working a hollywood record label back in the 90s.

We sat by the bar and he ordered a Hungarian wine..supposedly best in the house.  I was starting to worry about the tab!..ha ha ha..By this time, he was a bit calmer, the smile was starting to open up but I could tell he was observing and still feeling the vibe.  After two drinks, we were finally seated and then the conversation began....alcohol does wonders some times.

He was coarse.  I told my friend Brian was coarse but this one had a little bit more tact.  Being in Europe is a bit confusing since married people either wear their rings on their right index finger or no ring at all

He told me a beautiful story of how he met his wife via an online snowboarding group. He said when he met her, he knew she was the one he was going to marry. He has a stepson. By now, he spoke with a much bigger smile and he took me away with some amazing love stories including crossing a country's border illegally just to see a girl!  It was so inspiring..

Meanwhile..I was eating like a pig.  The dinner ended up costing about 7,000 Hungarian forints (35 Dollars so it didnt' really cost an arm and a leg). Hungarians are sweet men I've noticed.  He dropped me off by cab to meet Peter at another bar, he invited me to a party to dance but decided I wanted to see Peter.  He checked in with me after an hour to see I was ok.  I left with a smile.  It was nice to meet someone like Gero. I hope we meet again!


My very first goulash soup...man I fell in love with Buda pest even more

the menu..

add to list of my favorite candies..

No comments:

Post a Comment