Fantastical Highlights

Monday, November 1, 2010

Memories of the Serbian War and the Danube river.

After Germany, Slovakia, Hungary, and now Serbia, the Danube river seems to follow me with its endless European charm.  On the top of the Serbian Fortress lies another extension of this beautiful river.  I was thinking of how much this water have seen of the war, families in pain, hunger, and tears.  In many ways, there's truth to how pain and death can strengthen a culture.  Every family has its version and their own stories of how it was for them during the war. Every corner lies ruins from bombings hoping to serve as a constant reminder of what Serbia is all about.

About 7 years ago, I met a young man named Jelal who spoke of the war when living back in Bosnia.  I remembered his eyes; they showed a strong sense of ambition to strive and get better in all of his undertakings.  He spoke of his family with strength and dignity but in much pain hidden inside a fragile and war-struck man.  A young man at 25 yet full of endless dreams and possibilities for his family back at home. I could sense his pride, his mom's pride, and how he spoke of visiting his family bearing gifts every year. remember crying so much in a coffee shop in middle of the afternoon carefully listening to his life story.  It made me appreciate so much of of what I have in life.  My life after all wasn't as bad.

Petar and I walked out of the house to greet the morning sun to have my first taste of fresh Serbian Burek; a local breakfast favorite.  While walking, I asked him what he remembered about the war.  It was a sensitive question and I wanted to be careful but he opened up.  He spoke of his friends and how it created this much stronger bond between them as friends; some who were not even Serbian.  I was really curious about his story. He spoke of the Serbs, Turks, and invasions of all kinds. I wanted to understand. It was nice to understand.



Burek : yum




We then walked further into town and visited an old church.  It was huge but with no money, it will take a while for the church to be completed.  I met more of his friends.  Petar, joking aside, is probably one of the most interesting man I have ever met in my life.  His humor, although limited with his strengths with his English skills, made me laugh in such a way that even warn-torn stories would sound almost like a comedy.

Fortresses, castles, kings, communists...I felt empowered today with knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment