So after having lunch with my best friend the other day, I realized how much I've really missed working. I saw cubicles with papers, people on the phone, girls in their work attires, guys in gorgeous argyle sweaters (i dig that), glasses, cluttered desks, and big computer monitors. I felt so out of the realities of the world.
At first, being unemployed sounds like a norm but lately, I feel ashamed of who I am. I feel so unaccomplished. I feel so down.
Earlier yesterday morning, I had lunch with a friend/ex colleague of mind who's a historian at the University of Illinois Chicago. Although, he will also be losing his job, I was amazed by the level of accomplishment that he's had over the years. He writes for the school paper, has very cool half american/half filipino children, and has been doing historical speeches for the Navy Pier. It made me wonder of my own personal accomplishments.
I also met up with another friend from Phoenix. She just finished her MBA and has been relocated to work in Chicago. Over lunch, she told me about her new Harvard/Yale lawyer guy she is dating. She is young, vibrant, and successful. I need a new strategy in life.
I managed, however, to have a nice $100 dinner at Bandera's and some great Filipino food in Chicago over the last two nights. Trent and his colleague sterling gladly covered me for the night.
How was I saved by the drums? Last night, after being mistaken as a celebrity by security (they thought that 6'5 Sterling who hung by the bar watching while i dance was my bodyguard...lol) and after spending $20 on a pair of shoes that I replaced my dance shoes with, I came in to the Alhambra Palace for some salsa and I reclaimed my own personal accomplishment; the ability to stand out on the salsa dance floors. I danced with the smile the whole night.
Tomorrow will be a different day :)
p.s. Mr. M imed me today...the conversation was brighter :) I am happier
This is collection of a few life lessons. I represent both someone who possess endless strengths and inconsolable sadness. You will see a woman who was made to feel shame for her desires and yet had the courage to pursue them anyway. At 23, I thought I found Elizabeth. Now at 35, I long to rediscover her again. Let Me Fly...Reinvent...and Stay Extraordinary... "Happiness is only real when shared"...Christopher McCandless 2007
Fantastical Highlights
-
We have a new member to our family...his name is Sig :) My sister Andromeda and Sig Isn't he cute?
-
You are different... You are real.. You make me laugh.. I've never seen so much passion in one where I feel like I am with you I...
-
After breakfast, we said our farewells at a local picnic. It was bittersweet...long hugs and semi tears almost came with the rain for me :)...
No comments:
Post a Comment