Fantastical Highlights

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thunderstorm and Secrets

So...to date, i've already visited 3 new restaurants, a millennium park chicago symphony orchestra concert, 2 new irish bars, and found a new favorite drink: saketini :) all in a period of two days. I also just saw that movie Unknown - i love movies about traveling.





Truth about secrets:

Last night was a bit of an eye-opener. A friend introduced me to a colleague whom he thought was gay. At the same token, this same person expressed interest with girls via stories which for detail oriented folks - it's easy to question and wonder if the stories were all true.

I was invited to a concert at the Millenium Park with the same guy and we met his two "friends". One was talking about leaving for a weekend somewhere while another spoke about going to another nearby city. Little did we know, they were going together to the same place on vacation except the other one lied about being by himself and going to a different location. At the end of the evening, their gay relationship was confirmed. It was uncomfortable and I felt bad. I know how that person feels.

I walked home on Grand for a couple of miles. Rain, thunder, and lighting was present in the evening skies. It felt so nice...rain was warm, the smell of the wet concrete, and couples ducking under cover in front of random restaurants and apartment building and making out.

Secrets are hard to keep. It eats your soul yet it's hard to find and develop guidelines on when and where is the right time to reveal them. Who does it affect? Friends and relationships become in question without really knowing the true motive or intention of hiding the secret to begin with.

I told my friend that he should tell his co-worker tomorrow that his secret is ok and that we probably shouldn't talk about him being gay in front of other people. Although a joke - jokes can hurt people and like I tell everyone, we never have any control with how anyone is going to act towards a certain situation. People can be cruel and may offer very little understanding...I know how he feels.

At around 10 pm, I received an email from the grad school that I was applying to - I'm missing 4 other documents. There goes my Thursday....


No comments:

Post a Comment