Fantastical Highlights

Friday, December 23, 2011

It's not about the money - It's about making a difference and believing on what a change may bring

A friend and I was supposed see a late night flick at a local movie theater last night. She cancelled 30 minutes before the movie. I went anyway.

Many years ago, whenever I had to do a staff development event with my subordinates, I used to show them movies about work ethics. My personal favorite was Jerry McGuire. It spoke of loyalty, work integrity, and the art of gaining respect. I still tear every time I see the end of the movie where Cuba Gooding is getting interviewed and he was thanking everyone and almost forgot to thank his agent, Jerry McGuire played by Tom Cruise. Great story, simple plot, but effective messaging.

Then it all changed when I saw "Up In The Air" with George Clooney. It was an updated version of Jerry McGuire but speaks about a viewpoint of a person of power who affects the lives of an average good employee all for the sake of making money. I used to travel a lot for work so I related a lot to the movie.

Last night, with my 3 glasses of wine sneaked in using a coffee thermos, I watched Moneyball. $250,000,000 turned away for the sake of brand loyalty while changing the way baseball aficionados think of player scouting.

Favorite part of the movie: Brad Pitt's daughter playing the guitar and singing to her dad. I cried...

Tonight I get to hang out with some friends from Bosnia and Germany...tomorrow is the big concert..I just tried on my gown :) amazing

A new favorite holiday song :)

No comments:

Post a Comment